I have been away for a while, ainy because I am busy with the impemmentation of knowledge worker technologies, and partially because I am bloggine on y personal blog. For now, I want to capture Chickering and Gamson (1987) seven principles of effective pedagogical practices for online teaching before they get lost. They are written in 1987, but I find them still applicable today:
- Encourage contacts between students and faculty in and out of classes.
- Learning is enhanced when it is more like a team effort than a solo race.
- Active learning is encouraged in classes that use structured exercises, challenging discussions, team projects, and peer critiques.
- Students need appropriate and timely feedback on their performance to benefit from courses.
- Learning to use one’s time well is critical for students and professionals alike.
- Communicate higher expectations.
- Provide a diverse delivery system.